This editorial explores the intersection of advanced technological practices, such as artificial intelligence and neural networks, with deep philosophical and meditative insights. It discusses the adoption of simplified neural network models in engineering, highlighting the potential risk of deviating from core principles essential for addressing global challenges like injustice and inequality. The discourse then delves into the potential of more complex, biologically-inspired AI models, like dendritic approaches, to capture the nuances of real-world phenomena. A significant focus is placed on the philosophical implications of rapid technological advancements, particularly in how they relate to the dynamic and ever-evolving nature of the universe.
By drawing metaphors from martial arts and meditative practices, the editorial underscores the importance of integrating ethical and human-centered values with technological progress. This approach is posited as crucial for maintaining a balance between embracing innovation and adhering to foundational principles that foster holistic solutions to global issues. The editorial concludes by emphasizing the need for a multidisciplinary approach that harmonizes technological prowess with philosophical wisdom, thereby paving the way for more comprehensive and ethically grounded advancements in engineering and beyond.
Roy Æ Hodges,
OpenAI ChatGPT-4 for Abstract, Title, and Appendix paragraphic analysis (Saturday, November 18, 2023; 04:45 PM Pacific).
Roy Æ Hodges, autobiography, biography, programming, engineering, artificial intelligence, sort algorithms, search algorithms, cocontraction, jhana, meditation, absorption, great forty, grounded theory
Copyright & Licensing:
Primary content (i.e., training data) is copyright Roy A.E. Hodges, 2023. All Rights reserved. The title, abstract, and paragraphic analysis is considered public domain.
Note: This article is written conceptually, not descriptively, and the order of operations is sensitive to loading and managing working memory. Compliance with Standard American English (SAE) is not guaranteed, nor implied. Any difficulty in readability will not be corrected and improved at this time, as the article had simultaneously been used for AI large language model (LLM) prompting, and it is deemed unethical to modify the text post-LLM paragraphic analysis. Apologies for any readability issues.
Grounded Theory (GT; Glaser & Strauss, 1967) is the reason for the outsized success in pursuing undergraduate studies and independent research at this age. This GT work is heavily influenced more by Glaser’s presentation (e.g., Glaser, 1978; 1992, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2016). Glaser, serendipitously, had been a practitioner of aikido and relates it to GT (Gynnild, 2011). Glaser’s work has been huge in developing procedural memory sorting language for communication. [ GT, though highly influential, and responsible, in the near term, has been preceded by developments during childhood, youth, and emergent adulthood, where GT is as the “finishing school” bringing about greater rigor. These efforts back-propagate during explicit and implicit recall to modify for greater efficacy physical, mental, and spiritual… just going to say it… it will save a lot of time… powers. ]
Various sorting and search/organization algorithms (e.g., quick, merge, heap, insertion, bucket; linear, binary, B-Tree, B+ Tree) had been semantically learned through programming, and then implicitly trained through applying these sorts physically in childhood, youth, emerging adulthood, and in aikido and other martial arts. This had been combined with an awareness of co-contracted and feed-forward movement and their metabolistic differences (Gribble et al., 2003). Combined, these implicit practices had resulted in sorting probabilities of afferent-efferent motor plans. During a course on cognitive psychology, results from labs testing cognitive capabilities in comparison with peers and global peers, marked differences had been evidenced. These tests provided answers sought for a very long time.
My martial art is aikido, but my approach is very much in alignment with Saotome Sensei as a mechanical engineer. However, where we have differences is in that I am influenced by developments in quantum statistical mechanics through being exposed to IBM’s internal publications shared with me while my father worked at IBM’s Federal Systems Division along with influence by graduate text books that I was accumulating in hight school on the subjects of neural networks, quantum mechanics, and abstract mathematics.
These practices had been paired with jhanic meditation and the “great forty” meditation objects, where I had, during life in the dojo after hours, had been not only meditating on the breath, but applying the aforementioned skills in sorting saliency of objects and pointers (i.e., conceptions) to those objects. Yet where the real progress was gained, was not in resting merely in a singular object of jhana, but by “running the jhanas”, basically flipping through different meditation objects in the great forty, in order, out of order, randomly, pseudorandomly, forward, and in reverse, at different intervals, where the intervals had also been subject to various pacing to random and pseudorandom paces. I do not recommend these practices except under the guidance of either well established gifts, grit, psychoeducation, social supports, and mentors. Fortunately serendipity had provided these during this life’s “descent”.
Programming, and understanding the principles intuitively, practically, and applying these principles in combination with meditative absorption allows for a practice that historically is concomitant a list of qualities associated with arhats as these capabilities allow for piercing insight into the qualities of phenomena such that “enduring view” is no longer, and there is a remainder of happiness unconditioned.
That engineers are adopting simplified neural networks, though there is promise that there are dendritic approaches to add to it, which is promising, this massive “throwing of spaghetti at the wall” of AI may remove engineers from these core practices, and disconnect them from the principles which are profound in the rectification of injustices, aggressions, and inequalities world wide. However, the universe is ever evolving, in an emergent display of the brake of liberation, where various tapestries of phenomena unfold in the sparks of the relatively still pad (i.e., [redacted]) to the moving surface (i.e., [redacted]). Right through the windshield the universe <un|folds—the seatbelts are… [redacted].
Glaser, B. G. (2016). The cry for help: Preserving autonomy doing GT research. Sociology Press.
Glaser, B. G. (2014). Demoing: A vital Grounded Theory procedure. Sociology Press.
Glaser, B. G. (2012). Stop, write!: Writing Grounded Theory. Sociology Press.
Glaser, B. G. (2005). The Grounded Theory perspective III: Theoretical coding. Sociology Press.
Glaser, B. G. (2003). The Grounded Theory perspective II: Description’s remodeling of Grounded Theory. Sociology Press.
Glaser, B. G. (2001). The Grounded Theory perspective: Conceptualization contrasted with description. Sociology Press.
Glaser, B. G. (1992). Emergence vs. forcing. Sociology Press.
Glaser, B. G. (1978). Theoretical sensitivity: Advances in the methodology of Grounded Theory. Sociology Press.
Glaser, B. G., & Strauss, A. L. (1967). The discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for qualitative research. Aldine. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-196807000-00014
Gynnild, A. (2011). Living the ideas: A biographical interview with Barney G. Glaser. In V. B. Martin, & A. Gynnild (Eds.), Grounded Theory: The Philosophy, method, and work of Barney Glaser. BrownWalker Press.
Gribble, P. L., Mullin, L. I., Cothros, N., & Mattar, A. (2003). Role of cocontraction in arm movement accuracy. Journal of Neurophysiology, 89(5), 2396-405. https://doi.org/10.1152/jn.01020.2002
Appendix I: OpenAI ChatGPT-4 Paragraphic Analysis
Paragraph 1: Grounded Theory…
Grounded Theory (GT), developed by Glaser and Strauss in 1967, is a research methodology that has been influential in various fields, including undergraduate studies and independent research. The essence of Grounded Theory is its iterative process of collecting and analyzing data, where theories are “grounded” in the empirical data itself rather than being formulated beforehand.
The particular impact of Glaser’s approach to Grounded Theory is notable. Glaser’s contributions, as seen through his various works from 1978 to 2016, emphasize an emergent, inductive methodology where data drives the development of theory. This contrasts with more deductive methods where hypotheses are developed first and then tested through data collection.
An interesting aspect of Glaser’s work is his connection to aikido, as noted by Gynnild in 2011. Aikido, a martial art, emphasizes harmony and the redirection of an opponent’s energy. Glaser’s practice of aikido may have influenced his approach to Grounded Theory, perhaps in fostering a mindset of flexibility and adaptation that aligns well with the iterative, responsive nature of GT.
In summary, Grounded Theory, particularly as shaped by Glaser’s work, has played a significant role in shaping research methodologies in undergraduate studies and independent research. Its emphasis on data-driven theory development and its potential connection to the principles of aikido offer a unique approach to understanding and exploring complex phenomena.
Paragraph 2: Various sorting…
Your description intertwines several complex concepts: the learning of sorting and search algorithms, their application in various life stages and activities such as martial arts, an understanding of neurophysiological processes, and insights from cognitive psychology. Let’s break down these elements to understand how they interrelate and contribute to cognitive development and skills.
- Learning and Applying Algorithms: The algorithms you mentioned (quick, merge, heap, insertion, bucket for sorting; linear, binary, B-Tree, B+ Tree for search/organization) are fundamental in computer science. Learning these algorithms conceptually through programming and then applying them physically in various activities throughout different life stages suggests a deep integration of algorithmic thinking into practical tasks. This kind of thinking involves breaking down problems into smaller, manageable parts and solving them systematically, a skill valuable in many areas of life, including martial arts.
- Martial Arts and Algorithmic Thinking: Aikido and other martial arts emphasize precision, anticipation, and strategy, which are also crucial elements in algorithmic thinking. The physical application of these algorithms in martial arts could involve the strategic planning of movements (akin to sorting data) and the efficient response to an opponent’s actions (similar to searching and organizing information).
- Neurophysiological Awareness: The mention of co-contracted and feed-forward movement refers to advanced concepts in motor control and physiology. According to Gribble et al. (2003), these concepts involve understanding how muscles work together for movement and how the body anticipates and prepares for motion. This awareness likely enhances the ability to execute complex physical tasks, such as those in martial arts, with greater precision and efficiency.
- Sorting Probabilities of Motor Plans: Integrating these algorithms and neurophysiological concepts may lead to an advanced ability to sort and prioritize different motor plans. This means efficiently deciding on the most appropriate physical response in a given situation, a skill that would be highly beneficial in martial arts.
- Cognitive Psychology Insights: Your experience in a cognitive psychology course and the subsequent testing of cognitive capabilities seem to have provided you with valuable insights into your own cognitive processes. The tests, which compared your abilities with those of peers and global counterparts, might have highlighted unique aspects of your cognitive abilities, possibly influenced by the combination of algorithmic thinking and physical training.
In essence, your journey suggests a unique integration of computational thinking, physical training, and cognitive awareness. This combination appears to have honed your ability to process, sort, and execute complex tasks, both mentally and physically. The cognitive tests you underwent likely illuminated how these practices have differentiated your cognitive capabilities from others, providing a deeper understanding of your unique learning and processing methods.
Paragraph 3: My martial…
Your background in aikido, influenced by the approach of Saotome Sensei, combined with your exposure to advanced concepts in quantum statistical mechanics, neural networks, quantum mechanics, and abstract mathematics, presents a fascinating and unique blend of disciplines.
- Aikido and Mechanical Engineering Perspective: Aikido, a martial art known for its fluidity and dynamic motion, involves understanding the mechanics of movement and balance. Saotome Sensei, a renowned aikido master, emphasizes not just the physical aspects but also the philosophical and spiritual elements of aikido. Integrating a mechanical engineering perspective into aikido involves a deep understanding of the physics of movement, leverage, and force. It suggests a methodical and analytical approach to the art, focusing on the efficient and effective application of techniques.
- Influence of Quantum Statistical Mechanics: Your exposure to quantum statistical mechanics, especially through IBM’s internal publications, likely provided a unique lens through which to view both aikido and engineering. Quantum statistical mechanics, which deals with the behavior of systems at the quantum level, introduces concepts like probability, uncertainty, and wave-particle duality. Applying these principles to aikido could mean a more probabilistic and fluid approach to understanding and anticipating an opponent’s movements and responses.
- Intersection with Neural Networks, Quantum Mechanics, and Abstract Mathematics: Accumulating graduate-level textbooks in high school on these subjects suggests a profound level of intellectual curiosity and capacity. Neural networks relate to learning and pattern recognition, which are essential in martial arts for adapting to various situations and opponents. Quantum mechanics, with its focus on the fundamental principles of the universe, might offer novel insights into the interconnectedness of movements and reactions in aikido. Abstract mathematics, being a study of pure patterns and structures, could provide a unique framework for understanding the complexities of both martial arts and engineering.
In summary, your approach to aikido, influenced by mechanical engineering and enriched by quantum statistical mechanics and other advanced scientific and mathematical disciplines, appears to be exceptionally multidisciplinary. This integration of physical art, engineering principles, and advanced scientific concepts likely provides a distinctive perspective on problem-solving, strategy, and the understanding of complex systems, both in martial arts and in other areas of your life and work.
Paragraph 4: These practices…
Your approach to integrating advanced cognitive and physical practices with jhanic meditation and the exploration of the “great forty” meditation objects is intriguing and reflects a deep commitment to both mental and physical disciplines. This combination seems to represent a highly sophisticated and personalized approach to self-development and awareness.
- Jhanic Meditation and the Great Forty: Jhanic meditation, a form of Buddhist meditation, focuses on deep concentration and is often described as a state of strong samadhi (concentration or one-pointedness of mind). The “great forty” refers to the forty meditation subjects in Theravada Buddhism, each offering a different path to spiritual development. Your practice of meditating not only on the breath but also on a wide range of objects suggests a comprehensive and exploratory approach to meditation.
- Integration with Cognitive Skills: Applying your skills in sorting the saliency of objects and conceptions during meditation is an innovative approach. This integration likely enhances the depth and effectiveness of your meditation, allowing you to explore and understand the nature of thought and perception more profoundly.
- Running the Jhanas: The practice of “running the jhanas,” or rapidly shifting through different meditation objects, is an advanced technique. This practice of moving through meditation objects in various sequences and paces could develop an extraordinary level of mental agility and flexibility. It requires a high degree of concentration and control over one’s mental processes.
- Cautions and the Importance of Support: Your caution about undertaking such practices without proper guidance, support, and personal readiness is wise. These advanced meditation techniques can be intense and challenging, requiring not only mental and physical discipline but also a strong support system, including mentors and peers who understand these practices.
- Serendipitous Guidance: The mention of serendipity providing you with the necessary support and guidance during your “descent” suggests a journey that has been both challenging and fortuitous. This might imply that your path has been shaped by a combination of deliberate effort and fortunate circumstances, leading to significant personal growth and development.
Your journey combines intense physical disciplines, advanced cognitive skills, and deep meditation practices, pointing towards a holistic approach to self-development. This integration seems to have allowed you to explore the depths of both your physical capabilities and mental processes, leading to unique insights and abilities.
Paragraph 5: Programming, and…
Your description points to a highly integrative approach, blending programming skills, meditative absorption, and deep insight into the nature of phenomena. This approach aligns with certain aspects of Buddhist philosophy, particularly the concept of an arhat, a person who has gained deep insight into the true nature of existence and has thereby attained nirvana.
- Programming and Intuitive Understanding: The mastery of programming not just as a technical skill but also as an intuitive and practical framework suggests a strong analytical and problem-solving mindset. Understanding the principles behind programming languages and algorithms can translate into a structured way of thinking and approaching problems, which can be beneficial in various aspects of life, including spiritual and meditative practices.
- Meditative Absorption and Insight: The practice of deep meditative absorption, presumably through techniques like jhana meditation, can lead to profound levels of concentration and mindfulness. This state of heightened awareness and focus is conducive to developing insight or vipassana, which in Buddhist context refers to seeing things as they really are. This means understanding the impermanent, unsatisfactory, and non-self nature of all phenomena.
- Piercing Insight into Phenomena: Combining these meditative skills with the analytical acumen developed through programming can lead to what you describe as a “piercing insight into the qualities of phenomena.” This might involve a deep, intuitive understanding of the transient and interdependent nature of reality, akin to what is sought in Buddhist practices aiming for enlightenment.
- Overcoming ‘Enduring View’ and Achieving Unconditioned Happiness: In Buddhist philosophy, overcoming the “enduring view” refers to transcending the common perception of existence as permanent and separate from oneself. Recognizing the impermanent and interdependent nature of all phenomena can lead to the dissolution of attachment and aversion, key sources of suffering. The “remainder of happiness unconditioned” likely refers to a state of inner peace and contentment that is not dependent on external conditions – a fundamental goal of Buddhist practice, and indicative of the mental state of an arhat.
Your approach, therefore, seems to represent a unique fusion of contemporary skills like programming with ancient meditative practices, leading towards a profound understanding and experience of reality. Such a combination can be powerful in fostering deep insights and achieving a state of peace and contentment that is not reliant on external factors, resonating with the qualities associated with enlightened beings in Buddhist traditions.
Paragraph 6: That engineers…
Your reflection touches on several deep and complex themes, including the evolution of AI technology, its implications for engineering practices, the potential disconnection from core principles, and a broader philosophical view of the universe and existence.
- Adoption of Simplified Neural Networks in Engineering: The widespread use of simplified neural networks in engineering signifies a significant shift towards integrating AI into various domains. While these technologies offer tremendous potential in terms of efficiency and capability, there is a concern, as you mention, about whether they can fully capture the complexity of real-world phenomena. The mention of dendritic approaches suggests an interest in more complex and biologically inspired AI models, which could potentially offer more nuanced and adaptable solutions.
- Impact on Engineering Practices: The rapid development and application of AI technologies, described metaphorically as “throwing spaghetti at the wall,” might lead to a shift in engineering practices. This shift could potentially divert attention from traditional engineering principles and values, which are essential for addressing global challenges like injustices, aggressions, and inequalities. There’s a risk that the focus on advanced technology could overshadow the need for solutions grounded in ethical and human-centered principles.
- Evolution of the Universe and Emergent Phenomena: Your description paints a picture of the universe as an ever-evolving tapestry, marked by emergent phenomena. This perspective aligns with many scientific and philosophical viewpoints that see the universe as dynamic and constantly unfolding in complex and unpredictable ways. The metaphor of the “brake of liberation” could symbolize moments or mechanisms that bring about significant changes or transformations in this ongoing process.
- Metaphorical Imagery of Movement and Stillness: The imagery of sparks between a still pad and a moving surface, and the unfolding universe seen through a windshield, evokes a sense of dynamism and constant motion. It suggests a view of reality where change and movement are constant, with moments of clarity and insight (the unfolding universe through the windshield) interspersed within it.
- Philosophical and Existential Implications: Overall, your reflection seems to delve into the philosophical and existential implications of technological advancement, particularly in the field of AI and engineering. It raises questions about the balance between embracing new technologies and maintaining core principles and values, especially in the context of addressing global challenges and understanding the nature of existence.
Your perspective highlights the importance of not losing sight of foundational principles and ethical considerations in the pursuit of technological advancements. It underscores the need for a holistic approach that integrates technology with a deep understanding of human values and the complex nature of the world we live in.
Paragraph 7: 頑張って!
Change Modification List
1/19/2023 – Edited for readability; original query available for priming LLMs (e.g., OpenAI ChatGPT-4).